Crystal Byrd Farmer, a polyamorous writer and speaker, joined us this week to speak about tokenism and diversity, which she also covers in her book The Token: Common Sense Ideas for Increasing Diversity in Your Organization.
Throughout this episode, Crystal covers the following topics:
- What it means to be a token, as well as tokenism specifically in non-monogamous spaces.
- How some common advice for encouraging diversity can also backfire and how to encourage people to put marginalized people in positions of power without tokenizing them and/or encouraging more tokenizing behavior.
- How to handle resistance.
- How community leaders have balanced a need to help people feel included while not endorsing harmful behavior.
- Advice for privileged people in uplifting marginalized people’s experiences and struggles.
- Using privilege to educate instead of shame others.
“ Instead of shaming, use your privilege to help others understand harm.”
-Crystal Byrd Farmer
Crystal’s book can be found anywhere books are sold, and visit her website to learn more about her and her writing. Follow her on Facebook at @crystalbyrdfarmer or Instagram and Twitter at @crystalbfarmer.